Water replenishment is key to keeping your skin looking vital, healthy and young. There are many different ways that the body craves water, sometimes you may think you are hungry, so you start eating foods which have a high water content like juicy fruits, but your body is actually wanting water, so a great tip when you’re feeling hungry is water first.
I have been speaking with my patients over this lockdown, and reminding them to ensure they stay hydrated. Some have been great at remembering and others have not been quite so consistent and have been feeling the effects.
Here are some tips I have found really beneficial when reminding myself to drink my water. Some I have pinched from my patients – so if any of you are reading this and see a familiar tip – you know why!
- Carry water around with you EVERYWHERE
- If you have it with you, you will drink it.
- Invest in a cute bottle you love or a really tall glass
- Investing in a reusable water bottle that you can refill throughout the day makes sense, plus, the added benefits for the environment (and your wallet!) make this one-time purchase worth it.
- I would also recommend sipping water consistently throughout the day, rather than guzzling your whole daily requirement in one go.
- You can also get reusable bottles with markings on them so you can check your progress
- Having a fun, visual way to see that my effort is adding up is just about the best way to get me to stick with something, and a lot of my guests who have this type of water bottle have found it to be really beneficial
- Remember to refill
- Once you have finished the water in your bottle or glass, refill straight away
- You’re just more likely to keep drinking if the glass is full.
- Set alarms on your phone
- Create a recurring appointment ‘DRINK WATER in your diary and turn on your notifications for this ‘appointment’
- Download a Hydration App
- Your phone is always on you and is a great way to remind yourself to rehydrate throughout the day. Install apps like Drink Water Reminder and Water Reminder to set reminders and track water intake
- Set targets
- Use your daily meal plan and pattern to set yourself your water quota for the day, when you will be consuming the water and how much
- BONUS TIP – drink water at least 30 minutes before eating and at least 60 minutes after eating
- Just drink water!
- If you cut out all the juices and fizzy drinks and switch them to water, you’re already winning
- If the phone reminders and apps are still not enough, use post-it reminders around the house or work place to constantly remind you to rehydrate!
- Combine with another daily habit
- For example every time you go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water. This is great, because the more water you drink, the more you will go to the bathroom which means you will be drinking more water! Yay!
- BONUS TIP – Do not drink anything at least 2 hours before you go to bed
For your skin’s sake, drinking water is one of the easiest and best beauty treatments you can do. If you want to know why, click the link below for more information